- This event has passed.
Written by: Mary Chase
Directed by: Nancy Eppert
Auditions will be held from 6:30pm – 9:00pm on Monday, July 10 and Tuesday July 11, 2017.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. Possible call back, by invitation, on Wednesday the 12th . A theatre resume and photo is helpful, but not mandatory.
Auditions and callbacks will be held at the Sermon Center, 201 N. Dodgion Street, Independence, MO 64050.
Elwood P. Dowd is an affable man who claims to have an unseen (and presumably imaginary) friend Harvey — whom Elwood describes as a six-foot, three-and-one-half-inch tall pooka resembling an anthropomorphic rabbit. Elwood introduces Harvey to everyone he meets. His social-climbing sister, Veta, increasingly finds his eccentric behavior embarrassing. She decides to have him committed to a sanitarium. When they arrive at the sanitarium, a comedy of errors ensues. Only just before Elwood is to be given an injection that will make him into a “perfectly normal human being, does Veta realize that she would rather have Elwood the same as he has always been — carefree and kind — even if it means living with Harvey.
- MYRTLE MAE – a young woman, the daughter of Veta.
- VETA LOUISE – Elwood’s sister, Myrtle’s mother.
- MISS JOHNSON – house Maid for the Dowd’s.
- MRS. CHAUVENET – an old friend of the family. She is a member of the town’s social circle.
- NURSE KELLY – a pretty young woman, appears to have some sort of love/hate relationship with Dr. Sanderson.
- BETTY CHUMLEY – the doctor's wife, more concerned with socializing than with science.
- ELWOOD P. DOWD – the central character of the play, a friendly eccentric who spends his days and nights in the taverns with his best friend Harvey, an invisible six and a half-foot- tall rabbit.
- WILSON – the muscle of “Chumley’s Rest”, a devoted orderly responsible for handling the patients who will not cooperate voluntarily.
- DR. SANDERSON – he is young for a psychiatrist, but very qualified. He is infatuated with Nurse Kelly.
- DR. CHUMLEY – an esteemed psychiatrist and the head of the sanitarium, “Chumley’s Rest”.
- JUDGE GAFFNEY – an old family friend of the Dowds, a representative of the people in town who are accustomed to seeing Elwood talking to Harvey and who do not think anything of it.
- E.J. LOFGREN – cab driver.
Performance Dates: September 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, and 17, 2017