Playwright Festival 2018
Eight plays shall be selected for production in August, 2018.
Guidelines for submission:
All submissions must be original, unpublished, one act plays of between 10 and 15 minutes in length. No submission fee required. Submissions must be received by email between January 1, 2018 12:00 AM and January 10, 2018 11:59 PM. The first 75 qualifying submissions will be accepted. After this quota of 75 scripts has been received, no additional submissions will be accepted. Any script selected for production will be presented in its originally submitted form. No post-submission changes will be allowed.
Any submissions not adhering to the following shall be eliminated from consideration.
Subject & Content:
- Scripts shall contain at least two and not more than five characters.
- Subject matter of the story must be women.
- The stage will be bare, with no walls, doors, or floor coverings.
- Set pieces available shall be an overstuffed chair, a sofa, a coffee table, two end tables with lamps, an office desk, a regular table, three regular chairs, and a coat tree. All, or any combination of, these pieces (and these only) may be used. Photographs of the specific pieces are shown below.
Additional information and guidelines:
- All scripts must be submitted electronically via email in .pdf format to: email@example.com
- Playwrights will be notified via e-mail when their manuscript is received.
- Scripts must include:
- A separate cover page with the playwright’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a short biography of the playwright.
- A cast of characters with descriptions
- A brief synopsis
- Numbered pages
- Playwrights shall not submit more than two plays to be considered per festival year.
- Playwrights will be notified by April 15, 2018, if their play has been selected for production.
- Plays selected for production will be listed on our website, www.citytheatreofindependence.org
- All production and publication rights remain the property of the playwright.
- City Theatre of Independence shall have the right to produce selected scripts without payment of royalties.
- Production will be at the discretion of City Theatre of Independence.
- Only stage plays will be considered. Musical, film or TV scripts will not be selected for production.
- All submissions must be original, unpublished, and not presented or produced prior to June 1, 2018.
- Scripts will be judged on concept, dramatic action, characterization, cast size, and dialogue. Technical requirements will be noted.
- Critical analysis or feedback will not be provided.
- Playwrights should be aware that the size of our stage is limited. There are no opportunities for elaborate scene changes.
- Please consider our audience and do not send sexually explicit or gratuitously violent or obscene scripts.
Best Overall Production and Best Script, each with a $50 prize.