City Theatre of Independence is opening the 2022-2023 season with the musical comedy, Urinetown. Urinetown is a satirical comedy about politicism, capitalism, populism and corporate mismanagement. The musical premiered in 2001 with music by Mark Hollman and book by Greg Kotis.
The story takes place in a dystopian society that is suffering from a water shortage. Due to this shortage, private amenities are outlawed and every citizen must pay a fee to use public toilets. The public toilets are owned by the corrupt megacorporation “Urine Good Company” or “UGC.” Hero of the story, Bobby Strong, recognizes the injustices perpetuated by this cooperation and leads the “pee-for-free” rebellion.
Auditions for Urinetown are June 27th, 28th, and 29th at the Roger T. Sermon Center with callbacks by invitation on July 2nd.
Additional audition information can be found here- https://sites.google.com/view/cti-urinetownauditions#h.ykxyienqhur6
- Officer Lockstock – The principal narrator, a policeman in charge of finding guilty pee-ers
- Bobby Strong – The dashing young “every man” who works for Miss Pennywise as the Assistant Custodian at the poorest urinal in town. Also the male romantic lead who falls in love with Hope Cladwell and starts the revolution
- Dr. Billeaux – A scientist for Urine Good Company
- Senator Fipp – A corrupt politician in Cladwell’s pocket. He is harboring a surprising secret
- Mr. McQueen – Cladwell’s assistant. A man who will do anything to save himself
- Officer Barrel – Lockstock’s partener. He harbors a surprising secret
- Joseph “old Man” Strong – Bobby Stong’s father. His rebellious actions get him sent to “Urinetown”
- Tiny Tom – A confused “man-boy”
- Caldwell B. Cladwell – The villain of the story and the owner of Urine Good Company. A moneygrabber who exploits the poor
- Hot Blades Harry – A dangerous and unpredictable rebel
- Robby the Stockfish – A poor rebel
- Billy Boy Bill – A poor rebel
- Penelope Pennywise – The tough, jaded warden of the poorest urinal in town. She harbors a surprising secret
- Little Sally – A precocious street urchin and co-narrator of the story
- Hope Cladwell – Caldwell B. Cladwell’s daughter who has just been hired at Urine Good Company. The female romantic lead
- Soupy Sue – An affectionate member of the gang
- Little Becky Two-shoes – A pregnant woman
- Josephine “ma” Strong – Bobby Strong’s mother
- Mrs. Millennium – An office worker who inspires to be Caldwell B. Cladwell’s head secretary